Almost Oscar time.
I not only love movies but have been inspired by them my whole life as a songwriter. I still keep a pen and paper handy hoping some gem will come out of a character's mouth. I’ve used more of these lines in some form in lyrics than I can count. Every co-writer and friend I have in this business knows the value of the inspiration and information you’re libel to get anytime you spend a couple hours in the dark with someone else's vision.
Movies are a songwriter's resource for life.
Here are a few movies with music that I love. Rather than try to express why I love each of these I’ve included a link for you to decide for yourself. Impossible to name them all but I picked 20 to start, no particular order and I tried to keep my comments short! Hope you'll share this and add some of your own favs.
- A Hard Day's Night Beatles! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Hard_Day's_Night_(film)
- 20 Feet From Stardom Lisa Fischer! http://twentyfeetfromstardom.com
- Greenwich Village Folk http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1941541/
- Sound City Valley Rocks http://buy.soundcitymovie.com
- History Of The Eagles American Band http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2194326/
- Who the F**k is Arthur Fogel? Who knew? http://whothefisarthurfogel.com/reviews-links/
- Amadeus Pre Prince http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amadeus_(film)
- Woodstock 60's http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066580/
- The Harder They Come Jimmy Cliff http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Harder_They_Come
- Muscle Shoals Alabama Soul http://www.magpictures.com/muscleshoals/
- Standing In The Shadows Of Love Motown! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314725/
- The Commitments Irish Soul https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3paf2TLrgsg
- The T.A.M.I Show James Brown!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.A.M.I._Show
- Purple Rain Prince Genius http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087957/
- Oliver Lionel Bart http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver!_(film)
- The Last Waltz The Band http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077838/
- Monterey Pop Meet Jimi ! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterey_Pop
- West Side Story Great songs http://www.westsidestory.com
- Stones In Exile Love 'em http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1609157/
- Don’t Look Back Dylan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dont_Look_Back
Hall Of Fame “This Is Spinal Tap!” Stonehenge! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N63XSUpe-0o
Photo: David Gans
Please be sure and hit the share button and the like button for idocoach on Facebook!
About Mark Cawley
Mark Cawley's songs have appeared on more than 15 million records. Over a career based in LA, London, and Nashville his songs have been recorded by an incredibly diverse range of artists. From Tina Turner, Joe Cocker, Wynonna, Diana Ross and Chaka Kahn to The Spice Girls, Tom Scott, Kathy Mattea, Paul Carrack, Will Downing and Pop Idol winners in the UK. He has had #1 records in the UK and throughout Europe as well as cuts in Country, Jazz & R & B. His groundbreaking website Song Journey created with Hall of Fame writer Kye Fleming was the first to mentor writers from around the world one-on-one online. He is currently writing and publishing as well as helping writers and artists worldwide with a one-on-one co-active coaching service, iDoCoach. In addition he is a judge for this years UK Songwriting Contest, a contributing writer to the US Songwriting Competition , a popular songwriting blogger and from time to time, conducts his own workshops.